Friday, January 23, 2009

Try a little tenderness!

Ohhh Duckie, you will always have a place in my heart. Pretty in Pink is a pretty timeless portrayal of teenage tendencies to ostracize anyone who seems “different” or is labelled as impoverished, strange, or belonging to a subculture that deviates from the “norm.” It is interesting how the rich, white, suburban kids are considered the “normal teenager.” They set the standard in the film for how teens should dress, act, or what they purchase. I love how Duckie, and the red-headed recipient of his unrequited love represent “the other”, since they don’t look the same, shop from the same clothing store, or fit into the same economic status, demoting them to a lesser social category. All social analyzing aside, I adore how Duckie is brave enough to dance/ lip-sinc to this song. He is truly an exceptional guy. I would have chosen him over the preppy guy any day. He also makes me want to dance.

No comments: